Sunday, October 21, 2012

A boring person

Imagine a conversation between I and a new friend goes like this:
A new friend: "So, what's your favorite music band? what kind of music do you like?"
me: " umm.. not sure.. I don't really have a preference, I guess"
A new friend: "are you playing or following any sport?"
me: "umm not really"
A new friend: "..any favorite TV show?..newspaper columns?"
me: "I don't really watch TV..I don't read newspaper very often"
A new friend" "what's your favorite bar around here?."
me: "I don't know.."
A new friend: "..what do you do in your free time then?..any hobby?"
me: "not really.. I'm pretty busy most of the time"

...then that new friend leaves, thinking that I'm the most boring person he/she ever met.

Well, I tell the truth when I answer all those questions above...which turn out to be 'typical questions' asked when one tries to start conversation and look for possible shared experience with a new friend. Of course, in the real social setting,  I would swiftly move away from those 'boring' facts to more interesting parts..which I think I have quite a few... I probably talk about data storage in bacteria..talk about Rent-My-Bike.. talk about solo trip in Europe.. talk about eBebe..talk about the Dish hike.. talk about 400,000+ youtube views ..talk about toastmaster..talk about STEP..talk about Thais... talk about filipino dance troupe..talk about monologues..etc. (by the way, I consider most of what I'm doing as 'work'..so I tell the truth when I say I have little free time and no hobby) At least, I'm lucky enough to know how to highlight interesting parts. I also believe that everyone of us have all unique stories and facts. Unfortunately, many of us don't know how to convert that to good stories in a social setting like this..unless...our conversation partner(s) are patient enough ..and creative enough about navigating dialog ..next time you think a person you talk to is boring..maybe..you wanna open up your mind a little bit. 

9.30 pm 21 October 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment