Thursday, October 18, 2012

Startup - eCommerce for baby products in Mexico

I sent out 10+ emails yesterday trying to recruit classmates to join my DNA outsource project.
I got on one interested.
I still believe in that idea and will push it further..but that has to be done outside of Startup Garage class.
Desperately trying to find other interesting teams join, I attended networking dinner (organized by the class to help people forming teams before the deadline this Thursday). There I met Sebastian.

Sebastian is an second year MBA student from Mexico. He and one other MBA student and an MSE student started an eCommerce business for baby product in Mexico last July (around the same time that I started Rent-My-Bike). The business is still running..they have three employees in Mexico taking care of ordering/shipping stuff..has only one truck running around Mexico city delivering products...has a website (in Spanish) functioning like a one-stop-shopping place..showing varieties of baby products from diaper...toys..dresses.

Sebastian joined Startup Garage class, trying to rethink the way he runs this business and also to look for more business partner that can bring additional dimensions of experience/expertise to the team. Their core team right now has three guys..none of them has a baby before..Ideally, he said, he would like to have a Latino female with a baby on board..

..well, the only person left there at the networking dinner is a single Thai guy.

Anyway, I have joined that team now. With me as the fourth member, the eCommerce baby product project can now survive the recruitment phase of this class (any team with less than 4 pp needs to be dissolved).
I told him that I don't know any Spanish and I had no idea how young families choose products for their newborns..but I promise I will try to catch up as soon as possible.
To run a successful business, we gotta learn to think like our customers.
Alright..
..let's think like new parents
.....in Spanish

This gonna be fun!

1.30 am 18 October 2012, @ Palo Alto, CA, USA


No comments:

Post a Comment