Saturday, October 20, 2012

Why I don't eat healthy food (personal reflection)

Earlier this week I agreed to work on a business with my new friend, Abhijit.
Abhjit comes from computer science/mathematics background but currently works on proteomic research at Stanford, focusing on using the patterns of protein expression to predict/understand health of patients in medical research. At some point he realized that while our scientific knowledge about how to live healthy is already pretty advance, the difficult part is to implement that at the level of human behaviors. For example, we already know long ago that food with high fat, high sugar, high salt and low fiber isn't good for our health, yet we still eat that kind of food everyday.

Is there any way to make people eat healthy food? (and can we make money out of that?), he asked.
To post this question differently, we could ask "why don't people eat healthy food?"..cost? taste?
At least for me, the main reason is that it is easier to get unhealthy food than healthy one. Usually, when I have lots of time to think and plan, I will definitely go for healthier options. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case. Let me give a real example of what I ate today..and why.

I woke up late this morning and was in a hurry to the lab. After taking shower, I opened my fridge and saw left over potatoes soup..looked up the fridge and saw croissant (from Costco)..heated them up in 5 min and quickly gobbled them before rushing to work. ..high carb high fat..low protein..low fiber .low vitamin..yeah not a very good start.
Did I have any other option for the breakfast?..well, I bought a pack of strawberry on the same trip to Costco that I bought croissant. However I finished at stawberry pack within just a few days, worrying that it will turn bad. I had some broccolette in the fridge...but it will take some time too cook (plus I had a pile of dirty dishes and pans in the sink I need to clean before I can cook anything.)
I originally plan to get out from my office for lunch a little before noon. However, my today experiment was running late so I ended up getting out for lunch after 1 pm. I went to Tressider because I wanted to get one of my bike brake fixed at the bike shop. Now, what choices did I have? Chinese food truck? No, already close before 1 pm. Starbuck? Neh..not for lunch. Tree house? It would take too long if I order things..and I know that my other option, pizza, is unhealthy. CoHo..again that will take too long. Salad bar? Nope..last time I went there their dressing no longer taste as good as they used to be. Subway? ..umm I just had that yesterday lunch..Panda?..whatever..I can't think anymore.. I just gotta eat something at Panda (you know how unhealthy this fast-chinese-food is).
I worked in the lab till around 8 pm this evening ..very hungry but I didn't have any food left in the lab. I went home and had to rush to Walmart to get a bike light (because a customer of Rent-My-Bike just asked for one tomorrow morning and somehow I ran out of working bike light today). I got back home from Walmart near 10 pm...very tired. Yet, thought I should cook real food (rather than having frozen chicken pot pie or instant noodle).. I couldn't think of anything creative & healthy. I ended up with stir fry broccolette with some fish balls (yeah processed food >< ).. two fried eggs and some steam rices.

 See? that's why I didn't eat healthy food. I rushed through the day..and grabbed whatever I could grabbed. I did know which food is healthy and which is not. I had money to buy healthy food. In fact, from time to time, I carefully plan my meals days in advance and carefully select healthy items at grocery store. Yet, whenever my schedule become more chaotic (which I think very common to many other people too), such plan easily falls apart..fresh & healthy stuffs ran out.. plans no longer work.. and I ended up having to "grab whatever I can"

How do we solve this problem ..in a sustainable way?

(Some of the readers may wonder if I have time to work on so many thing at the same time.
No, I don't and I'm sure that I need to stop working many different things at some point in the future...I'm not sure when. This probably one of my weaknesses: I tend to get start on things quickly..but it usually take me very long to make reasonable plans for cutting things out. Anyway, I will think about that.)


1 comment:

  1. I am actually thinking of developing such product! to solve this particular problem! we should talk pTon haha

    ReplyDelete