Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Public Speaking

I just spent the past few hours practicing my 10th Toastmaster speech.
Many people, especially new friends, are surprised to learn that I'm a big fan of public speaking.
You know, most people would expect that these public speaking lovers are the same group as those extroverts..who like hanging out in a big group, party a lot, and can talk all the time about anything.
I'm not (see my other blog about networking)...I spend most of time alone thinking about random stuff.
For me, public speaking is an artwork... like music performance ..or singing ..or acting..or movie. But even better, I can compose the whole content myself..choose prop..design every movement..when to turn..where to pause..when should the audiences laugh..or stunt. I probably also like the fact that it's one-way/one-to-many communication..something I can't do very well in casual social groups.. Some people ask me how I overcome the fear of talking in front of a lot of people...I don't really know. I fact..I usually feel more comfortable with more audiences.. There was one time I gave a "casual presentation" to group of 4-5 people...and I think that was awkward..The largest number of audiences I ever spoke to was over a thousand..and I was really energized. Like what I said..it's an artwork..you know..in front of big audience I can easily feel energy from the crowd the way a rock star feels energy from his fans in a concert.

No comments:

Post a Comment