Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Networking...the way I usually do

Typically, in what people called "networking event", you go to a dinner or a cocktail party, chat with several new people, ask/answer the same questions over and over. Everyone is talking so it is pretty hard to hear clearly who says what. I found this activity very tiring and unproductive.You may end up exchanging business cards with these new friends..so you know them..then what? It's likely that there will be no further interaction what-so-ever for years to come.
For me, whenever I feel like building up more "network," I attend meetings...any open meeting that, in many cases, has nothing to do directly with my expertise. I go right to the front seat (which is usually empty). Regardless of whether I fully understand what are presented, I will attempt to come up with a question or as suggestion. I will try my best to be the first one who gets to say something during Q & A...(well just to get myself in the spotlight.) Usually, after the meeting a few people will come talking to me about my question or opinion (which they may love it or totally hate it). Then, I start conversation from there.
Another trick I usually use to keep in touch and strengthen my network is to ask for help..an make sure to give back a lot. If I don't need any help, I ask for help on behave of other people in my network. By helping and being help, I create the sense of interdependence which is, in my opinion, the key element of strong network.
12.40 am 16 October 2012, Palo Alto CA 94306

No comments:

Post a Comment